Ultra-Low Profile µPOL™ DC/DC Converters
TDK’s µPOL technology enhances electrical and thermal performance focusing on high-density, cost-effective solutions
TDK’s FS1412 ultra-low profile microPOL (µPOL) DC/DC converters in a small 5.8 mm x 4.9 mm x 1.6 mm package with increased performance, ease of use, and simplified integration for applications such as big data, machine learning, artificial intelligence (AI), 5G cells, IoT networking, telecommunication, and computing enterprise. µPOL technology includes a DC/DC converter placed in the vicinity of complex chipsets such as ASICs, FPGAs, and others. Minimizing the distance between the converter and the chipset minimizes the resistance and the inductance components, allowing fast response and accurate regulation with dynamic load currents.
TDK has developed this technology to enable system-level solutions to enhance electrical and thermal performance, focusing on high-density, cost-effective solutions for space-constrained applications that require a low-profile power source. These solutions incorporate high-performance semiconductors in advanced packaging technologies such as semiconductor embedded in substrate (SESUB) and advanced electronic components to achieve unique system integration in a smaller size and lower profile by 3D integration. This integration allows TDK to deliver high efficiency and ease of use at a low total system cost.
The µPOL DC/DC converters series operate at a broad junction temperature range (from -40°C to +125°C) and feature a high current density of more than 1000 A per cubic inch. This series delivers 12 A output current with a low commercial height of 1.6 mm, minimizing system solution cost, reducing board size and assembly costs, and BOM and PCB costs.
- Advanced ultra-low profile packaging and 3D technology; key drivers for next-generation high-performance energy efficient designs
- High-density solution for space-constrained applications requiring a low-profile power source
- Scalable and highly configurable with multi-time programmable memory, offering a wide range of flexibility using digital communication (I2C and PMBUS)
- Footprint size: 5.8 mm x 4.9 mm x 1.6 mm
- Output current rated at 12 A with 50% less required capacitance than existing products
- Suitable for a junction temperature range from -40°C to +125°C
- Lead-free and RoHS/WEEE compliant
- Network storage
- Enterprise SSD
- Storage area networks
- Mainstream servers
- Rack and blade servers
- Netcom and telecoms
- Ethernet switches
- 5G small cells
- 5G base stations