MC33772C Li-Ion Battery Cell Controller
NXP's battery cell controller features configurable averaging of cell voltage measurements (lower BOM)
NXP’s MC33772C is a six-channel Li-ion battery cell controller (BCC) IC designed for automotive and industrial battery management systems (BMS) applications, offering reliable, safe, and BOM-optimized BMS.
The device manages from three to six cells or is used as a battery junction box (BJB) controller. It features configurable averaging of cell voltage measurements (lower BOM) and onboard coulomb counting. Its optimized transformer physical layer (TPL) communication interface supports loop-back topologies with up to 63 nodes.
The MC33772C BCC supports ISO 26262 with single-chip ASIL C and up to ASIL D functional safety capability.
The evaluation boards (EVB) below feature the MC33772C six-channel battery cell controller for automotive and industrial Li-ion battery applications. This IC supports cell voltage measurement, passive cell balancing, and GPIOs. These EVBs are designed to support customer development and evaluation. The devices can be connected to NXP's six-cell battery emulator or a customer Li-ion battery module with three to six cells in series. On the FRDM33772CSPEVB, the battery cell information is transferred to the microcontroller unit (MCU) through an SPI interface. While on the KIT33772CTPLEVB evaluation board, battery cell information is transferred to the MCU through an isolated differential communication bus using the FRDMDUAL33664EVB. Up to 63 KIT33772CTPLEVBs can be connected within a daisy chain.
- 6 V ≤ VPWR ≤ 30 V operation, 40 V transient
- Six cell voltage measurement channels with integrated averaging possible up to 256 samples (no averaging for MC33772B)
- Total stack voltage measurement
- 0.8 mV maximum total voltage measurement error
- Seven ADC/GPIO/temperature sensor inputs
- Integrated current sensor with PGA
- ±0.5% accuracy from milliamps to kiloamps
- Integrated coulomb counter
- Onboard 300 mA low RDS(ON) passive cell balancing MOSFETs with diagnostics
- Balancing in sleep mode
- Programmable balancing timer for each MOSFET
- 2.0 Mbps, two-wire twisted-pair differential, isolated daisy chain communication
- Inductive and capacitive coupling support (only transformer coupling for MC33772B)
- Up to sixty-three nodes in one daisy chain (fifteen nodes for MC33772B)
- Loopback support for one daisy chain (no loopback capability for MC33772B)
- Addressable on initialization
- 4 Mbps SPI
- OV/UV, OT/UT, OC fault verification
- Sleep mode OV/UV, OT/UT monitoring
- Support ISO 26262, up to ASIL D safety capability
- Hot-plug capable and AEC Q-100 compliant
- 14 V Li-ion battery management systems
- Battery management systems
- High-voltage battery management systems (> 800 V)
- E-bikes and E-scooters
- Energy storage systems (ESS)