Digital Zero-Height SiSonic™ Microphone
Knowles' digital zero-height SiSonic microphone with multi-mode and ultrasonic support
Knowles has developed the world’s first digital microphone supporting ultrasonic bandwidth. This new product allows microphones to assist smartphones and consumer electronics with touchless gesture recognition, phone-to-phone data transmission, pen input compatibility for handsets and tablets, and 3D positioning input.
The MEMS microphone can receive ultrasonic sound waves above the audible range of humans, up to 80 kHz, and use those waves to triangulate an object’s location and movement.
Beyond the ultrasonic mode, the microphone offers four performance modes, including a low-power voice activation mode, which is ideal for mobile consumer electronics.
This advancement also has the potential to reduce the cost of manufacturing a device by eliminating the need for a micro infrared sensor, simplifying the device exterior, and integrating more capabilities into an existing component.
- Supports ultrasonic frequencies
- Super-wideband capable
- Lowest power consumption in the market (3x less than other digital microphones)
- Best acoustic performance per square millimeter
- Multiple performance modes (sleep, low-power, standard mode, and ultrasonic mode)
- Sensitivity matching for better algorithm performance
- Easier system integration and better RF immunity compared to analog microphones
- Ultrasonic frequencies: up to 80 kHz
- Signal-to-noise ratio: nominal 64.3 dB(A)
- Flat frequency response: up to 20 kHz
- Power consumption: 235 µA in low power mode
- Size: more than 20% smaller than other digital microphones
- Sensitivity matching: ±1 dB
- Digital output: serial PDM bit stream