ARG82801 ASIL-D Power Management IC (PMIC)
Allegro MicroSystems' ARG82801 for automotive control units in safety-critical systems
Allegro MicroSystems adds to its PMIC portfolio with the ARG82801, an ASIL-D PMIC for automotive control units in safety-critical systems. Supporting and advancing the trends in automotive steering, braking, and other systems requiring functional safety (FuSa), the ARG82801 PMIC adds to Allegro's A2-SIL™ approach to providing comprehensive solutions, including an array of gate drivers and sensors.
The ARG82801 DC/DC portion includes Allegro Microsystems' proven and effective single inductor buck-boost, which is valuable for low VBATT idle-stop requirements while continuing to provide 5 V output. It provides four power rails for µC/DSP, sensors, CAN, memory, and other loads in the system. Frequency dithering and well-controlled switch nodes allow the system to pass CISPER25 Level 5 EMI.
The integrated Q&A or Window Watchdog programmable watchdog functions improve systems reliability and reduce PCB component count. There is also a safety signal (POE) which can disable the motor driver on a Watchdog failure to prevent the µC/DSP from performing unintended actions.
The ARG82801 is targeted at automotive control modules for electronic power steering (EPS), transmission control units (TCU), advanced braking systems (ABS), emissions control modules, and other automotive applications. It is supplied in a low-profile 38-pin eTSSOP package with exposed thermal pad (suffix LV).
The ARG82801 integrates four high-side gate drivers, typically used for 3x phase disconnect, plus battery disconnect, reducing component count and saving board space while concurrently helping customers meet their safety goals.
- Integrated 4x HS gate drivers reduce component count, save board space, and help meet safety goals
- Often used for 3x phase disconnect and battery disconnect
- Includes Allegro’s proven and effective single inductor buck-boost for low VBATT
- Passes CISPR25 Level 5 EMI
- POE safety signal can disable the motor driver on a watchdog failure
- Integrated, programmable Window Watchdog improves system reliability and reduces PCB component count